Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No Rest for the Wicked

Suddenly I find myself knee-deep in the "crazy busy" season and I don't know how I got here. There are so many things to keep track of, so many decisions to make and so many obligations to fulfill.

For example, even though I haven't written much about it, I am very much trying to get Sunshine Handbags off the ground. I've been spending a lot of time during recent months trying to learn the ins and outs of Etsy, the on-line location of my shop, and I still haven't figured out the magic yet. Sales are elusive in my shop and they are for many other Etsians according to the frustrated comments I read. Some blame the economy, some say Etsy is over-saturated with shops, others suggest we're just not out there promoting ourselves enough. I'm sure all reasons can be applied to me.

On a much more positive note, two of my dear friends have placed orders for a total of FIVE handbags!! This is super exciting for me because the more bags I have out in the world, the more people will see how much fun they are to own and carry and soon everyone will want one (or several!). Three of my bags will be going international to Portugal to live with Sergio's family! So very cosmopolitan, I can hardly stand it!!

In between the times that I'm sewing my fingers to the bones, I've been busy preparing for the coming holidays. Our Thanksgiving will be quiet this year with just the four of us. The Chicago side of our family will stay home to spend time with my brother-in-law who is recovering from very successful brain surgery. Hooray for Tom! Christmas won't be nearly as quiet as we'll travel to Chicago for a day or two and then will come home to welcome my sister and her family and my father, stepmother and the rest of that gang for a rowdy New Year celebration. Things should get back to normal here by mid January, if we're lucky.

As always, I have Evan here to bring levity to the chaos. Last night at dinner we were discussing his new career path as a "camera operator" (I wasn't aware that he even knew that was an actual occupation, but he's mentioned it several times at school and at home-go figure). He stated that when he grows up and becomes a camera operator he's going to change his name to Eric The Camera Operator. To which I replied, "why wouldn't you be Flynn The Camera Operator?" (confused? see my entry "If it's wednesday I must be Flynn"). Then Aaron, my twelve year old sometimes voice of reason, gives both of us an exasperated look and says, "why can't he just be EVAN the camera operator?
Well, that just makes too much sense and isn't any fun at all, that's why.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your handbags :) I've hearted your shop on Etsy.com, and I actually purchased a custom order tote from you on Sept 2nd 2008 (the Sara Handbag). I've been meaning to post a pic of it on my blog site, because I STILL get so many compliments on it :) I am actually looking at your Andi Handbag/tote, but I'm saving up $$$ for another custom order from you! Keep hope & faith alive, because you're going to do well on Etsy!!! I hope you continue to sell your handbags, because your products are spectacular :) Tame