Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Mary Bag for Mary

Monday was my dear friend Mary's Birthday.

Mary and I met almost 19 years ago at my future husband's Grad School graduation. She was an alumni from the same school and was there for a mutual friend who was also graduating. We shared a few hours in a crowded college bar and I remember that I liked her immediately but never considered that I would ever see her again after that day.

Three months later, Steve and I had comfortably relocated to Madison and were busy getting the hang of our exciting new city. In a crazy moment of some type of divine intervention, Mary and I bumped into each other at the local mall and the rest, as they say, is history.

And what a history it's been. We are lucky to have the kind of friendship you read about in a really good book - two women who have shared hours of side-splitting laughter and buckets full of tears, only getting better with age and the wisdom we pass from one to the other.

Mary has become much more a sister to me than a friend. I am so thankful and so happy to be on this journey with her, where our story will most definitely have a happy ending.

Happy Birthday, my friend!

No comments: