Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Resolution Update

Remember when, at the beginning of the year, I promised to start living healthfully?

Well, I've been pretty proud of myself up to this point. I've been swimming a few times a week, about a half mile in the lap pool each time. Sometimes Aaron comes with me, sometimes I'm by myself. I was going often enough that I decided I needed a new suit. The one I've been wearing was losing it's oomph and was no longer giving me support in the areas that were desperately in need of it, if ya know what I mean. Also, guessing by the look on Steve's face the last time I got out of the pool, I think it's getting a bit see through in places!

Let me tell you, finding a suit that is "suitable" to SWIM in, not just for lounging by the side of the pool in, is not easy. I do not have the figure of a 17 year old lifeguard or Dara Torres and cannot be seen in public in the type of suit they wear. I don't want a tankini or anything with a little skirty thing, that just is not practical for swimming laps. After days of searching and endless trips to the return counters (Steve cannot understand why I insist on trying suit on in the privacy of my bedroom vs. the store dressing room. I mean, c'mon! The fluorescent lights in there are pure torture to 44 year old skin! Especially when said skin hasn't seen the sun in 9 months!) I found a suit that is not perfect but is perfectly acceptable. I don't think it was made with lap swimming in mind but it covers what I need covered and is skirt-less, so I think I'm good to go.

I also have another fitness adventure of sorts to support my new years resolution. I never thought I'd have a chance to say this publicly, but I have started running. I have never understood running. My husband runs, and really enjoys it. Lots of people run and most of them look like they enjoy it, but not me. I've tried several times in my life to run but I never took to it, mostly because I couldn't make it to the end of the driveway without losing my breath and getting shin splints. This time, I'm not sure what came over me. I was taking Sully for a long walk on a gorgeous, slightly chilly morning, when halfway through our walk I said, "Sully, what do you think about us trying to run a bit?" Considering that running away is his hobby, he was all for it and off we went. The weird part is, I not only made it to the next stop sign, but I actually made it all the way home without stopping. I was stunned. Then I started wondering how far that must have been, so I got in the car and clocked it...it was exactly 1.5 miles on the nose!

Well, I was super proud of myself so I started going to the club to run on the track a few times a week while Steve was running on the treadmill (which I won't even attempt - too scary) and within a week I was running 2 miles without much hacking and wheezing at all. I really was SO surprised at how easy it was this time. I actually loved running. I started to think about entering into some short runs this summer and Steve was very supportive and excited for me. It was great fun, and then one day I went out for a run with the dog and something was hurting. Badly. And now I haven't been out for over a week. There is something wrong with my knee and when I'm not icing it and taking handfuls of ibuprofen I can barely make it to the other side of the room. I'm so depressed. I don't know what I did to it, I don't remember hurting it, it just suddenly was there. My doctor friend thinks it might be something with my patellar tendon. That sounds bad, doesn't it? UGH.

So, I guess I'm even more glad I found that suit because I guess I'm back to the pool until this thing heals or I decide I'm just not cut out to be a runner. Which would be a bummer because I just bought new shoes and some cute new running clothes...

1 comment:

Heather said...

I totally had that problem (knee) and I used the quad weight machines for a few weeks. It really helped.