Friday, March 6, 2009

The Sun is Out and I'm Making a List

Today I'm focusing on the positive so here's a list of the things that are making me happy today:

1. it's going to be sunny and mid 50's here today. Goodbye snow piles!

2. I'm going to take my silly dog for a very long walk in the sun.

3. I will finally be taking the christmas lights off the house today. I suppose the wreath can come down too! And the light-up deer in the yard...

4. the new TARGET store opens on Sunday!!! This is a super big deal to me. I'm considering sleeping in the parking lot in my minivan so I can be the first customer in the door! (okay, maybe I'm not THAT excited) I would vow to never step foot in our Walmart again, if only Target carried thread and zippers.

5. I'm going to bake a delicious apple pie for Steve today. He'll be so happy!

6. there was no yelling in my house this morning...the kids were so great getting ready for school, it brings a tear to my eye!

7. I'm making the cutest-ever bag for my stepmother. I can't wait to get it done.

8. I just got some new fabric from a lovely etsy supplier and I am so in love with it I might actually make a bag for myself this time!

I know every item on my list is admittedly fairly shallow, but it's working for me right now. Which gets me to thinking...

We all can find reasons to be stressed, depressed and "drag your ass tired", perhaps now more than ever before. And I'm not suggesting that we all need to jump on the page-a-day syrupy hallmark sentiment bandwagon for inspiration to get us through this mess. I hate that stuff. But maybe if we stop trying to "dig deep" to find our joy, just for now, we can kind of skim off the top and make it through this without inflicting serious damage on ourselves and others. Like everything else, it's a temporary solution, but I'm going to give it a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Aren't we supposed to take joy in the little things?! I'm sure Steve loved the pie....I don't make pie.....and he wont eat my cheesecake! I guess I'll have to make an Angelfood for him, and a cheesecake for you!

It's raining buckets here, woke up to drip, drip, drip ....Herm's closet...oh the joys of homeownership...at least we have a roof over our heads, even if it leaks! :)
Andi