Monday, March 8, 2010

Back off dude, I'm a mommy

Ok, I have a thing against blogging about negative issues, there's enough junk out in the real world and I don't need to add to it with my little blog.

But something happened to me tonight that has crawled under my skin and won't leave.

My seven-year-old had swimming lessons tonight at a small local pool. After his lesson, he went into the small men's locker room to change out of his suit and I waited outside the doorway.  As usual, he didn't dry himself off well and was having trouble getting his trunks off (the exact opposite problem from yesterday, see previous post). He called out from the locker room saying he needed some help  so I replied "ok, I'm coming", and walked in to help him out.

Now understand, there are NO adults in the pool during these lessons except for the instructors, all of whom were in the pool at the time, so I felt it was completely safe to walk in and give my son a hand. When I walked in, there was another parent, a dad, in there helping his son who was maybe 4 years old, and another young child who was in the bathroom stall changing clothes. I walked over to my son, pulled off his trunks, told him to finish drying off and get dressed and then I left the locker room and stood by the door. After a couple minutes, the dad and son walked out of the locker room and the dad comes up to me and says, "We are very uncomfortable with you walking into the locker room like that".

Ok. Who says that? What did he think I was going to do when my son calls for me from the locker room? Yes, his son might have been in some stage of nakedness when I walked in, frankly, I didn't notice - I was focused on my kid. Besides, his boy is FOUR!!

Not wanting to make a scene in front of my child, I just looked at him and said, "OK", but I must have had "that look" on my face because another mother (the mother of the boy in the stall) who was sitting there caught my eye and mouthed to me, "what's going on?". I don't even know this woman but she could tell something weird was happening, so I told her about what he said to me. She couldn't believe it either...Ugh! On the way home I thought of a hundred things I would have liked to say to that jerk, like:

Maybe I'm uncomfortable with a weirdo like you in the locker room alone with my son!

or

How 'bout you take it up with the parents of the boy over there - he has two mommies - how would you prefer they handle the locker room issue?

or

I believe you need to rethink your choice of swim club, freak. Your kind isn't welcome here.

I can't wait until next week when I waltz right into the men's locker room, whether my son needs me in there or not!

No comments: