Thursday, March 18, 2010

My IKEA Road Trip

I went on a short trip last weekend with a friend to Chicago and spent the day doing what every woman wants to do in Chicago - SHOP! I am in the Chicago area several times each year to visit my in-laws but the visits are usually not long enough to work in a trip to one of the fab local malls. So, instead I just stare longingly out the car window every time we drive past Ikea, promising myself that someday I will get to go inside.

That "someday" turned out to be last Saturday. My lovely friend Sue is always up for an adventure, particularly if it involves escaping from her husband and two kids for the day, so we were up and out the door by 6:30 (that's A.M.)! Sue and I are very compatible shopping partners, which is crucial when you're trying to blast through Ikea, Home Goods, Marshalls, The Container Store and Crate and Barrel, all in one day. We had lots of laughs, some really good margaritas at lunch and both of us found some really great deals.

Sadly, I did come home without the one thing I really wanted to find - a salmon-colored fluffy throw to, well, throw over the back of my cute new settee in the living room. I want/need to bring some of the sofa color (which is salmon, Not Pink, but still a brave color choice, I know) over to that sitting group but I cannot find what I'm looking for - anywhere. I'm afraid I'm going to have to raise my own sheep, dye my own wool and weave my own darn blanket to get what I want.
"Help, I need a pretty salmon throw to drape over me!"



This is the new lamp I picked up at Ikea. It's kind of a stretch for my decorating style but I thought it might add a little funk to the room. Steve actually likes it too, and he doesn't like anything that comes from Ikea (I didn't know this until after I married him). He likes it enough that he thinks we need another one for the opposite corner of the room! Go Figure!



I  must have been in the mood for lighting because this lamp caught my eye at Home Goods and there was no way I was leaving without it. What a find! It is the perfect marriage of both color groupings in that room. The salmon from the sofa and the green and deep brown/purple from the slipper chairs. Love it!



And now I'm officially broke, which means I need to get my butt in front of the sewing machine. I'm just finishing up a new bag style today, I'll show you a preview tomorrow!

No comments: